Hey, who doesn’t love a bit of trivia? For some light-hearted reading for your weekend, enjoy these fun, odd and even some just plain weird food facts.
* Pound cake originally got it’s name, because it contained an entire pound of butter.
* Potato chips are America’s favorite snack food. An average of 1.2 billion pounds are eaten every year.
* The average chocolate consumption in America is 51 pounds per person a year. No wonder Willy Wonka has a castle!
* American’s spend approximately $25 billion dollars each year on beer. Now you know why 75% of all Super Bowl ads are beer commercials.
* Both McDonalds and Burger King coat their french fries with sugar, so that they turn golden brown when fried.
* The average child will eat 1,500 PB & J (peanut butter and jelly) sandwiches by high school graduation.
* The vintage date on a bottle of wine indicates the year the grapes were picked, not the year of bottling.
* The world’s most expensive coffee is $130 dollars per pound, called Kopi Luwak, but you might not be so eager to taste this expensive brew. That is because it is harvested from the droppings of a certain marsupial that eats these very exclusive coffee beans. Plantation workers actually track these marsupials, to collect their…ahem…..poop.
* To determine the percentage of alcohol in a bottle of liquor, divide the proof by two.
* The can opener was invented 48 years AFTER cans were introduced.
* Seaweed is used to thicken ice-cream.
* Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.
* The liquid inside young coconuts, can be substitued for blood plasma.
* A peanut is not actually a nut, but rather a legume.
* An apple, potato and onion will all taste the same, if you eat them with your nose plugged. Hhmmm – maybe a fun experiment to try with your friends.
* Bananas aren’t a fruit. They are actually a type of herb. Who knew!
* Coffee drinkers have sex more often than non-coffee drinkers.
* Food can only be tasted if it is mixed with saliva. Chew…chew…chew.
* If you shake a can of nuts, the large ones will rise to the top.
* It takes a week to make a jelly bean.
* McDonald’s salads contain 60% more fat than their hamburgers.
* Nachos is the most craved food by pregnant women.
* Pearls melt in vinegar. Wonder who tried that?
* Pound for pound, hamburgers cost more than new cars.
* Rubber is one of the ingredients in bubble gum.
* Smokers eat more sugar than non-smokers do.
* The 7-Eleven “Extreme Gulp” is 50% bigger than the volume of the human stomach.
* To burn off just 1 plain M&M, you need to walk the length of an entire football field.
* Wine will spoil if exposed to light. Hence the tinted bottles.
Bon Veggie Appetit!
Gina ‘The Veggie Goddess’ Matthews